Photobucket

Friday, January 7, 2011

JUST A MANICURE/PEDICURE PLEASE


It’s finally that time of the week that I have been waiting for.  My hour of peace and serenity at the nail salon.  Just me and my nail polish color enjoying an hour with no one around me yelling Mama.  I get to sit in the massage/spa chair and close my eyes while it works its magic and I occasionally take a glance at the polish color I chose because it brings a smile to my face as I think about how the color will look.

The manicurist comes to my chair and confirms that I want a deluxe manicure/pedicure and with a gleaming smile I say yes and my hour of “me time” is officially underway.  All of a sudden, I feel a hand tapping my foot to get my attention and I open one eye and she says, “You want pretty design on big toe? I make it very nice for you. You pick what you like.”  I politely decline and say just the manicure/pedicure today and close my eye and attempt to find that place of peace again.  Not 30 seconds later do I hear, “You go out with hubby tonight?  He will like design I do for you.”  I say no we are not and once again decline the offer.  I barely close my eyes and I hear, “You want eyebrow wax?  I do good job for you.”  I try to be polite and decline yet again.  Then she just randomly starts talking about what I’m not sure, but I listen because I don’t want to be rude.  Next thing I know, my pedicure is officially done and it’s time for my manicure.

She slides her chair to the side of the spa chair to begin my manicure and before she even starts I say, “just a deluxe manicure please.”  “Ok. I do for you” is her response.  So I attempt to lay my head back and close my eyes for the last 30 minutes of my “me” time.  Everything is going good, better than the pedicure at this point and then, “You want diamonds on nail right here.”  “Excuse me, do I want what?”  “I make pretty design on nail with sparkle. You will like. It very pretty for you.”  I say no thank you and this time I feel my demeanor is starting to change towards her and all of a sudden I’m feeling frazzled instead on relaxed.  I’m thinking to myself an hour is all I wanted.  Is that too much?  “You want flower on nail instead of sparkle?” “I can do”.   At this point, she is on the last step before applying my polish, so I have roughly 10 minutes left.  As nicely as I can I say, “I’m sure you have a lot of very fine services here, but all I want today is a manicure/pedicure.  If I want anything else, I will definitely let you know.”  I also try to explain that this is where I like to come to get some peace and quiet to myself without my 4 children and she just politely nods her head and says “yes.”

I sit back and all I can think about is I hope I wasn’t too rude because I know she is just trying to make an honest living and she is taught to up sale as many things as she can and I get that.  I know she wasn’t trying to disrupt my “me time” on purpose.  I just think that the owner needs to understand that most of us come in for just that, “me time.”  We want to just sit and relax and not have to think.  If the owners of these salons would realize this, then I think their business would be more prosperous.  If we want the extras we will let you know. 

As I’m leaving, I give her a tip and say “thank you, you did a great job”.  She says, glad you like.  Next time I do pretty designs for you.”  I just look at her and smile a big smile and chuckle all the way to my car. 

2 comments:

  1. That's one of the reasons I just do my nails myself. Sadly, I find it more relaxing. They should hand you a card with a list of services you can check off when you go in, so that they don't have to keep asking you if you want any other extras. Perhaps they should have a box that reads, "I'm here for my 'me time', so please let me sit back in silence while my eyes roll into the back of my head=)"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more Andrea!!

    ReplyDelete